Monday, March 12, 2007

A Question.....

I have a question or a debate for those of you who read my blog. If you came across your daughter's diary would you read it?

My Dad told me that he had come across my blog and read it. Was not sure how I felt about that as I see my blog as somewhere I can vent, share my musings and craft things with my buddies. I don't have anything to hide but knowing my father reads my blog may inhibit what I write in future.

Personally if I can across a blog of a friend or family member by accident I would probably ask their permission to read it. I know that sounds weird for a very public diary forum but that is the way I feel.

Please I would love to know what you all think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

I'd hate to know that my Dad read my blog! But then I doubt my Dad even remembers me most of the time, still less be interested enough to read it!

9:52 pm  
Blogger Jaffers said...

I've actually had this with a friend of Darrens finding my blog, showing Darren, and now both of them have it on their RSS feeders and read everything I put, which of course makes me hold back on certain issues..I don't want my partners friend bringing them up with him (which he has!).
Also, I get the feeling from my hit counter someone in my family may be reading it...
Hence, I'm NOT very open about certain things on my blog.
Think you just have to accept it's not really a diary, but a public message board....only other option is a password / invite only private blog...

10:28 am  
Blogger Sam+Tina said...

I can definitley see how that would upset you - it's kind of like your Dad listening in to a conversation with your mates!

8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't read a diary that was like the old fashioned kind in a book that you would write in as you would have to probably snoop through your child's room to find said diary. But a blog to me is public so I can't see anything wrong with anyone reading it. I know my MIL reads my blog (my parents don't have web access) and it doesn't bother me. I don't say anything too private on my blog anyway... just like I wouldn't say anything too private on any web forum or even on email for that matter!

Having said all that, you have every right to feel how you do about your Dad reading your blog so maybe you need to password protect your blog or just ask him not to read it and hope he respects your wishes.

11:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a publicly available blog, essentially a website. Your comparison with a diary is misleading, if your father dad 'acquired' the password to a private blog, then it would be accurate. I found it whilst searching for something entirely unrelated, the beauty of the web - especially Web 2.0, the key to which is user-generated content.

4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home