Sunday, February 05, 2006

So what do you think altered art really is?

This was an interesting question posed on forum that I visit. I would be interested to know other peoples opinions, this was my reponse:

I am an artist, an alterer, a scrapbooker and a card maker, overall I think of myself as an artist. I love everything creative and whilst I understand the definitions made "that to alter something is to change its use, and everything else is decoration" does it really matter what people call their work? If each piece is a unique form be it an oil canvas, a scrapbook page or an altered domino does it really matter what it is called?

Ideally there should be no snobbery in creativity. Why should people be boxed, if someone wants to call their work altered is that not progression at least they are seeing it as something they have created and have obviously put thought, time and energy into the piece. We as the viewers decide what each piece means to us, be it art, craft, altered or alternative. I know that I might spend months on a painting, a 5 year old creates a painting in class that takes 10 minutes. They are still both paintings and are still both art.

All art is subjective and whilst I might adore a piece of work, the person next to me might hate it and not think of it as art at all. This to me is what art is about - to create pleasure, displeasure and most of all to create discussion.

1 Comments:

Blogger domestic goddess said...

so agree with everything you ahve said elaine, art is what you want it to be and what you enjoy!

10:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home