Thursday, December 08, 2005

My Saving Grace


It has been the strangest day today. We took Sappho to the vet this morning for blood tests to make sure that she is not aneamic like Dugless. Below is a photo of her sleeping this evening. What you cannot see is her little shaved neck where they took the blood from. She has been so clingy today, she knows we are sad She keeps looking for Dugless in his usual haunts, the spare bedroom, the window sill, it's heartbreaking to watch. I have barely stopped crying since yesterday and the silliest things set me off. I am still in total shock at the loss of our first furbaby. He was such a lovely cat and will be sorely missed. Sappho is the high energy cat and he was the laid back boy of the family.

Sappho has been demanding lots of cuddles today and that is helping me through this grief. I cannot believe how devasting this all is. I have never lost a pet before, Dugless was the first pet I have had as a grown up. I tried to sort out his photos on my laptop this evening, I will be doing an album in his honour but I just kept crying. I want this pain to go away, I want to not think about his last day yesterday as he sounded in so much pain, I want to start remembering the good times we had in his short year with us.

Sappho is my saving grace today. She is such a sociable little cat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elfin said...

December 8, 2005 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
Elaine I've been thinking about you, Kate and Sappho today. I am glad you are getting loads of cuddles from Sappho and hope that with every day that passes you will feel better. I have not yet lost a pet in my adult life but know it will happen and I dread that moment and can already feel the pain now. It will be wonderful for you to do a book about Dugless. I had shown Kirk the photos of him playing in the snow last week and told him that he went across the rainbow bridge and he was sad too. Sending you big hugs. xx Marja
Permanent Link

December 9, 2005 - Posted by Shell
Posted by Anonymous
I too have been thinking about you all today. It brought back so many memories of losing Ruby, she also passed because of Anaemia. You are both in my thoughts tonight, if you want to chat you can always PM me.

Shellx
Permanent Link

December 9, 2005 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
Sweet Sappho, a cuddle for him. {Hugs for you and Kate} Paula
Permanent Link

December 9, 2005 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
sending ((((((hugs)))))) for you, Kate and Sappho, your post has brought a tear to my eye and I'm off to give my cat a special big hug.
Permanent Link

December 9, 2005 - Such sad news
Posted by Anonymous
I'm so sorry Elaine and can only imagine how terrible you must be feeing, my heart goes out to you, I know how much you adored your beautiful furbaby.
Jasmine xx
Permanent Link

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home